Homeschool Families Holding The Line

• Homeschool Families Holding The Line

Posted by Ashmo on March 19, 2022 at 1:27 pm

Let’s get a discussion going. How are y’all doing with your home education with all the madness going on? We have been homeschooling for 2 years with our almost 9 year old and 6 year old. Since December we have been “road schooling” due to our PCS homelessness pending an RA and needing an ETP. It has been less enjoyable to homeschool out of totes moving from hotel to hotel. How is everyone else doing?

Ashmodo2323 replied 2 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Ashmodo2323

Organizer
    March 19, 2022 at 11:12 pm

Where is everyone at

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Ashmo.
    • oklahomagirl

March 20, 2022 at 3:23 am

We’re in CA at the moment. Can’t wait to leave! We’re wrapping up our 3rd year homeschooling (8th, 5th, 3rd, plus a 2 year old).

• Ashmodo2323

Organizer
        March 20, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Oh yeah! We just left Hawaii and I felt the exact same way!

• Dandy

March 20, 2022 at 2:12 am

We are still going strong. We love homeschool. Wrapping up our 4th year with. 7th, 4th and 1st grader. So much freedom. Although they could deregulate things like testing imo.

• Ashmodo2323

Organizer
      March 20, 2022 at 2:51 am

7the grade! That’s definitely stepping up the education program! I hope to be settled by then and have a great community of like minded families who can guide us through preparing for high school transcripts. For now I am totally enjoying the relaxed Elementary years. We just came from Hawaii in which we were required to either test yearly or submit an end of year report with a bunch of work samples in each subject and a written report. It’s really silly in the lower grades. I agree…..testing should be limited. It’s actually a way to “grade” teachers not really students. That’s why public schools parents are allowed to opt out. Funny how home educators aren’t.

• Dandy

March 20, 2022 at 2:56 am

Transcripts will end up being a lot easier than its made out to be. If a course takes a year its 1 credit. Half a Year .5 credit. Etc. And you can have them do something like… learning how to build things with someone and they do it a few times a Year over four years and it’s a whole credit in carpentry so bam…. elective taken care of. And you just keep track as you go.

Yeah in NC we are required to do state testing. Don’t have to show grades just have to have it on hand if they decide to unit us. Florida we had to do a portfolio assessment to prove progress was made. Texas was literally nothing. Freedom to do whatever. It was nice..

• Ashmodo2323

Organizer
          March 20, 2022 at 12:00 pm

We are headed to NC now. I don’t love the idea of having to test annually but at least I don’t have to turn anything in to anyone!

• scrubnation

March 20, 2022 at 8:07 am

I saw this post on Instagram. I created an account to come leave a comment. Wanted to leave some motivation for parents that are having a tough time.

I was homeschooled my entire life. Although I didn’t grow up in a military family as a homeschooler and can’t attest to those trials, it wasn’t easy for my parents, and I fought them the entire way. But I look back at my homeschool education and am extremely grateful.

My mother more or less stopped teaching me and my sister around 14yo and had us going through a curriculum on our own.

The invaluable lesson to me is that I can teach myself anything. There is nothing beyond my grasp to understand if I spend the time to apply myself. I believe learning to learn is the entire point, and is often lost in the test taking focus of traditional education systems.

The lesson for you as homeschool parents, is that even if you do a bad job homeschooling your 1-5+ children, you will still do a better job than the 25-30 year old public school teacher who is trying to teach a group of 30 kids, and by the way teaching to the lowest common denominator.

So during the bad days, if you consider giving up, just remember the grass is not greener on the other side. The traditional education system is broken, and is not a viable alternative. If you can afford to homeschool, there is not a reason not to. Don’t give up.

• Ashmodo2323

Organizer
      March 20, 2022 at 11:58 am

Amen! Love this! I know my kids are in the best place they could be! Thanks for the encouragement!

• lonestar8302

March 21, 2022 at 12:49 am

We’re at Osan AB, South Korea. I’m ADAF and my wife homeschools our 3 kids (11,9,6). We’ve been here since 2019, and it’s been good and bad. Bad, because of everyone’s favorite Mexican beer, (with crazy Korean rules—ie 100% face diaper wear outside, period) plus the horrible air quality because of pollution and yellow dust.

Good, there is a fantastic homeschool community here. We have made some fantastic friends that have helped save our sanity over the past couple of years.

We’re trying not to go crazy and make plans for when I get the inevitable denial from my exemption request.

• Ashmodo2323

Organizer
      March 21, 2022 at 12:52 am

Praying for you guys! I know that’s gotta be a hard place to be right now!